Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have an old plunger type butter churn with staves that are

Customer Question

I have an old plunger type butter churn with staves that are held together only with copper bands. Are the staves supposed to be glued together?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ray,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your old butter churn.

If it's a genuine old design, the staves don't have to be glued if, and only if, it's in constant daily use. The moisture of the buttermilk inside keeps the wood swelled and the interior edge of each stave tightly pressed against its neighbor creating a watertight seal. Unfortunately, when kept for display purposes, the wood dries out and shrinks and the staves can come loose and fall out.

If you'd like to attach a photo of what you have, I'd be better able to recommend what to do with yours. Sometimes it is advisable to use a standard wood glue to keep it together.

Many thanks and wait to hear,

Robert.

PS. Once you have the photos in your computer, it's a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.

If you get stuck go here for help.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0