Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.
48688175

Can u tell me the value of a book?
, the life of

Customer Question

Customer: hey can u tell me the value of a book?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the life of benjamin franklin by m l weems philadelphia 1835 fair condition
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Antiques Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes will u take pay pal?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Diana F. replied 10 months ago.

Hi and thanks for requesting me. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

Is the publisher Carey and Lea? Is your copy a hardcover book? Can you tell me a bit more about the cover? Is it leather or cloth?

.

You mention it's in fair condition... can you tell me what kind of damage it has?

.
Thanks

Diana

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Published by Uriah Hunt Philadelphis 1835
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
front cover is detached, the pages are fraded. there are a couple of pages with water damage.

Hi. Thanks for getting back with me. I really appreciate it.

.

Weems was an agent and author during the late 1700s / early 1800s. He's not a well known author, but he actually wrote quite a few biographies including Franklin and ***** *****. In fact, his book on Washington was one of the first to include Washington's Cherry Tree story. The Life of Benjamin Franklin was first published back in 1817. Uriah Hunt first published their version in 1829, so a copy of 1835 would be a later edition, but still a very old copy.

.

The biggest loss in value for yours will come from the damage. Minor scuff and spots generally aren't bad, but a detached cover is a bit more damage. Given the condition, it will likely grade as being in fair condition and copy in fair condition is worth about $40 to $55.

.

I really wish I could say it was worth a whole lot more right now. That's not to say the value won't go up as these older copies get harder to come by, but it just isn't high right now.

.

If you do decide to sell it, you can always contact vintage book shops or antique stores in your area. You'll definitely get a higher value by selling it yourself rather than selling to a dealer though. For that, there is Etsy, Barnes and Nobles Marketplace and Amazon's Marketplace. There's also Albris and Biblio. They are used book websites. Albris actually has one of the best price rates, but Biblio tends to get more customer traffic.
.

If there's anything else I can do, please let me know.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you.I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.
Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively.If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.
.
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
.

I look forward to working with you again.
.

Have a great evening.
.
~Diana