Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a large Chromolithograph of a painting and it is

Customer Question

I have a large Chromolithograph of a painting and it is signed "S. James NY 75". Do you know anything about the artist? I am unable to find the artist on the Internet. I checked on artistssignatures.com to no avail since I don't know the first name.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to know the size and see images of the front, back (do not remove from frame) and a clear, in-focus close-up of the signature.

If you had already attached images to your initial posting, they are not showing for me here on my end.

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nora,The Chromolithograph is currently at the conservators. Sorry I don't have photos right now and not sure how long it will take. They are only estimating the costs for conservation work. Do you recognize the artist or printer? I just assumed that it was the artist. I did a search and St. James, NY kept popping up. Maybe it is where it was painted and not a name.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, the print is about 30" X 25". It looks like an oil painting.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

I would really need to see what you have in order to help assess it for you.

I can wait as long as you need for photos.

I hesitate to recommend outlaying costs for conservation on a chromolithograph print though - as usually the cost to conserve far exceeds the value.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thanks. I realize that about Chromolithographs so I am just having an estimate done. There is an appraiser there that will look at it to see if it is worth it. Should I reply back with the photos when I take them ?
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Yes, please send images when you can. No rush. There is not a time limit here.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!Carey Shea
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome.