Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I can't find a chess set that looks like mine. I am trying

Customer Question

I can't find a chess set that looks like mine. I am trying to get an idea of what it appraises for, it seems like marble and/or alabaster. The board is a mix of greens, reds, and browns. I inherited it and I'm aware that it was purchased somewhere in England in the mid 70's. The board is in perfect condition. The pieces are beige w green accents n brown. A couple of the pieces have minor nicks. It is missing one bishop, n there is no felt on the bottom of the pieces, it feels as though they are made from the same material as the board. The board is 13 inches x 12.5 inches and stands n inch tall. The board has a raised inner lip, a depression, n a raised outer lip and it stands on four small square marble looking pedestals. The actual design of the board is on the front n the back. I can't find anything remotely like it, to get a price to sell it at. If needed I could take a picture of it. There are a lot of other rare art pieces I need appraised, so I wanted to see if you were able to appraise this one.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name us Tanya I am a certified appraiser. I would be happy to help you. Can you post photis of the carvings on the chessmen. This will help me in evaluating the set.

Hello, I have now looked through the two photos you have provided It appears to be marble and soapstone/ alabaster in material. I can not see the carving to tell if delicate or crudely carved. the board is valued at 125.00 and the set being the one piece is missing as you stated has a rough value of 150.00 It is a modern set circa 1960-1970 produced. If you can post a close up of some of the pieces I can value the pieces better for you. Thank you I check back later this afternoon. Thank you

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It still seems pretty low just for the beauty of the board alone. Tomorrow I will send more pics and I have a lot more stuff I need appraisals on. Thank You

Thank you yes more photos of the board and close ups of the pieces would help so I can see the carving on pieces. Thank you I look forward to seeing them.

You may upload photos here to our chat or send them by email to***@******.*** and in the email please put "for ladytanya65 in antiques" they will forward them on to me. I look forward to reviewing the photos.