Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a very large 14kt gold ring that has beautiful

Customer Question

I have a very large 14kt gold ring that has beautiful detailing in the setting. The ring is so large I always figured the red stone was paste or glass, but I found out this summer it is a synthetic ruby. The ring has a boar's head maker's mark on the outside of the shank which I haven't encountered before. I took the ring to an appraiser who kept it for about six weeks to research the maker's mark...but he wasn't able to find anything. Any idea what direction I could turn to try and find out more about this piece?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 12 months ago.

There is one photo of the ring being worn on a finger here on my end. Please include clear, in-focus images of the stamps on this.

~Nora

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Having a difficult time getting an image that can be seen. I will try to use a loop to get a clearer picture. I was, however, able to zoom in on the full size render one and see it a little better.
Expert:  Nora replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for the images, but I am not able to see the mark in these. I suggest placing the ring down, have it well-lit and bring the camera as close as it will allow with focus.

When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 12 months ago.

I am wondering if you are still interested in having your item assessed?

Please let me know and do you have requested images available?

I look forward to reading back from you.

Sincerely,

Nora