LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

I have a calligraphy set that was brought back by a ww2 vet,

Customer Question

I have a calligraphy set that was brought back by a ww2 vet, that I would like to know more about. It has 2 bamboo pens a small dish of red ink with gold leaf in a small China like bowl. There are other pieaces and it's in a box that I think is made of paper or thin wood covered in a corse cloth with a design and what looks like ivory pieaces that close the box by sliding in little loops on the box. If you could help me learn more about this I would appreciate it.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a certified appraiser. I would be happy to help you. Let me review the photo and I will post back here listing what you have. Thank you

You have a traditional writing set. Two bamboo calligraphy brushes, a jade seal - this you would set in the red paste inside porcelain jar and place print of bottom of seal on paintings, letters etc, The red paste in porcelain jar has a dragon in blue design on top of it. The black ink stick looks to have been used very little You would place two or three drops of water on the square black dish ( ink stone) and run the black ink stick in circular motion until you have enough ink to write with. The set looks to be in excellent condition and it all sits within a traditional Chinese box cover in rice cloth and has two ivory slides to keep the box secure. WW2 set and this has a value of 125.00-150.00 for the complete set. The jade piece looks to have a foo dag or dragon on the top of him.

******

When you have a chance please rate my answer above as this is how I am paid form the site. It does not cost you anything to rate the answer it is strictly how I am paid form the site. Thank you for your time.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site:

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars:

1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5 stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.

Hello I wanted to see if you had any further questions on this set? I would be happy to help if you do. If I have fully answered please rate the answer so I may be.paid for my work. Thank you it does not cost you any more it is just how I am paid here . Have a great Friday ahead.