Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

Where are you located? I am looking oil painting expert with

Customer Question

Where are you located? I am looking for an oil painting expert with Kansas City knowledge
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

Experts here at justanswer.com are 3rd party affiliates located around the world and objects and fine art are assessed online here. I can help with your painting if you can provide clear, in-focus images.

~Nora

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am located in the State of Georgia, The oil painting which I am inquiring about is from Kansas City painter Jim (J.R.)Hamil, recently deceased. He is famous for water color paintings, however I have an original oil painting that he painted. He only did one oil painting that is known, and it was in his home and was unfinished. I have added a picture of the painting which was painted by Mr. Hamil for a friend in Kansas City. Please let me know your thoughts on this painting.
Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your patience and my apologies for the delay.

There is indeed at least one other oil painting by James Hamil (born 1937) and it was sold through Dirk Soulis Auctions in 2011. The painting is a half portrait of a male Bandito with bullets strapped across his chest. It measures 20" x 16" and sold for $110 against an estimate of $100 - $300. His watercolors carry average auction estimate of $100 - $200. Before the recession the estimates on watercolors were $200 - $400. The highest auction sale of a work by Hamil was $625 in 2015 for a sweeping Nebraska field landscape measuring 22" x 33.5" the estimate was $100 - $200.

On today's market, your oil still life that is incomplete would carry an auction estimate of $100 - $300. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $800.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora