Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

Please help identify my couch.

Customer Question

Please help identify my couch.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Burt,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your beautiful sofa. Thanks for the excellent photo, I can see exactly what you have.

This would be described as an American empire revival sofa, a reproduction of a style that became popular in the first two decades of the 1800s, characterized by the roll arms, horizontal crest rail and out-turned 'sabre' legs.

Yours looks like it dates to the third quarter 20th century.

As for value, this example very similar to yours, sold at auction for $700 which is probably representative.

I would therefore give yours an auction value in the range of $650 - $1000.

It therefore has a full retail value (if you saw it for sale in an antique store, say) of $2000 and is what you should insure it for.

I do hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert S.

PS. If there's anything more I can help you with on this, please don't hesitate to ask. If not, could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. And if you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Robert S....." in the subject line. Thanks, R.