Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

My grandfather was a wealth man back on the WW2.He used to

Customer Question

Customer: My grandfather was a wealth man back on the WW2.He used to live in Portugal, he passed away around 20yrs ago, and on his room were hanging this 2 paints for over 70 years.Back in time we have a legend in the family that this was a painting from Manet, that one person from the family destroyed trying to paint over the unfinished work.Nobody never paid much attention to it, but now the his home is going under some repairs as we need to keep moving forward, and my cousin as I was talking to her about this, started to give a better look on this 2 paints, and we could see that the name is ***** ***** but Millet.After that we check on Google, and this paint is a famous art from Millet, and the other one we have not seen yet what it is.Do you think that by any change this can be something that we should give a better look?I have the pictures to send you, just don't know how to do it.It was painted over wood, one we can see the signature, the other one we can't, but they were always together.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: yes, what kind of details?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Antiques Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

I will be happy to look these over for you, however I only assess one item per question here.

In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to know the size and see images of the front, back (do not remove from frame) and a clear, in-focus close-up of the signature.

If you had already attached images to your initial posting, they are not showing for me here on my end.

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the one that shows the famous image, the other one I have not seen yet at least on my search on Google
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The size is about a size of a 19" computer monitor
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for dimensions. There is just a close-up of the signature attached here. Please include a full view of the front and back (do not remove from frame).

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you receice the pictures?, I uploaded them twice.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

I have only received the one close-up of the signature so far that I can see on my end.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~OR~

You can try emailing your images to *****@******.*** and write “For Nora/Antiques” in the subject line of the email.

Photos sent by email do not arrive to me directly nor instantly, they get forwarded to me by admin.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent you the pics via email
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the heads up on that. I will certainly let you know when they have arrived to me.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

I received your images. You have a vintage 20th century reproduction painted image of The Angelus by Jean-Francois Millet from 1859. The original is in the Musee D'Orsay in Paris. Yours was done by a primitive or hobbyist painter. This painting was incredibly popular in the 19th century and throughout the early 20th century, so much so that every classroom had this image hanging as well as in businesses and homes. It is not unusual to find copies by others from later generations, however this would only have decorative wall art value and it does not have fine art investment market value.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora