Frank
Frank, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in gold, silver, jewelry and American antiquities.
66811035

I have a desk that has been in my family. It was made in the

Customer Question

I have a desk that has been in my family for decades. It was made in the late 1700 or early 1800. Where can I send some pictures to get it appraised? It was made in Vermont or Massachusetts. This I know for a fact.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Frank replied 10 months ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,

My name is***** am a Personal Property Appraiser and would be happy to assist you with your question.Do you have pictures of the dovetails in the drawers? If you can get shot of where the drawers connect at the front, that would be extremely helpful in the evaluation process. If you have any photos of the bakc of the piece, that would help as well in trying to date the piece.Thanks very much for your time today,Frank
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I believe the back may have been replaced at one time. It came out of a house that belonged to the ambassador to Japan early 1920s.
Expert:  Frank replied 10 months ago.

The back is definetly plywood which has been stained. Based on the machine made dovetails, the modern finish, the secondary wood in the drawers, the style and the plywood, this desk would have been produced in the first quarter of the 20th century. Based on the wood, it does look to be a Vermont piece of "rock maple," which was very popular in machine made pieces in the early to mid 20th century. The 1920's would fit the time period perfectly as a production date , as the style is indicative of the era.

In the current market you would be looking at a resale value of 275-400USD for the writing desk in good to excellent condition.

Any damage to the finish, the wood, or the structural integrity would detract from the resale value .

I know it's not the news you probobally wanted in reference to the time period, but I do hope the information was helpful to you today.

Thank you for any positive feedback you can give for my service today,

Frank