LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

I have an original ismael colored stencil from 1919

Customer Question

I have an original ismael smith colored stencil from 1919
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

What is the size of the stencil? What is the paper it is on? What is the color applied with?

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea of your questions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's almost 100 years old with color he has never done anything with color

One more thing -

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

I will not be able to give you a retail value. I can give you an average auction price.

If this meets with your approval, let me know.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
give me a ball park on what you think he was born 1 year after Picasso and died 1 year earlier than picasso

What size is the stencil?

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
8 by 12
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any idea who this artist is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's an original never been seen before British museum has all of his work this has never been seen before
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My wife's grandmother lived next door to him owned a bar and barber shop where he drank and she cut his hair in return did this original stencil

I know who he is. His name was Ismael Smith-Mari.

Unfortunately, I cannot find an accurate answer for your question. I will release your question so that all the other professionals can choose to answer you with accuracy.
I want you to have the best answer possible. Releasing your question is called "opting-out." I will not be able to respond to you once I opt-out.
I am very sorry.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Doris you should look for a new profession your fired
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a certified appraiser I would be happy to help you. Please allow me to review your photos and I will post back here shortly. Thank you

I have found the following information and value for your colored stencil:

About Ismael Smith Y Mari

Born: 1886 - Barcelona, Spain
Died: 1972 - New York
Known for: painting and sculpture, bookplates

*****************************************************************

Ismael Smith Y Mari-----Birth / Death: 1886 Barcelona, Spain - 1972 New York

I understand your wife's grandmother knew the artist however I have posted the following biography below for you also. You may print all of this information out so you have it with the stencil for future knowledge and if you were to sell the piece the new buyer would have access to all of the information also. Buyers like it when pieces have been researched. It is added quality to the piece on hand.

Ismael Smith Y Mari was primarily a sculptor and one of the favorite young artist's of the influential Barcelona art critic Eugenio d`Ors, who included Smith in his list of "nuocentistes" in 1906.

Ismael enjoyed a generous scholarship to study in Paris from the Barcelona City Hall. In Paris, he resided and exhibited with success from 1911 until the start of the World War. He left behind numerous sculptures in a warehouse but brought along to Barcelona a large number of drawings and engravings. He was enrolled for two courses in the Paris Ecole des Arts Decoratives.

His drawings and etchings combine the virtuosity of detail and color of the world of fashion for magazines and couturiers and have an expressionist bent in depicting the low life of "la Ville Lumiere".

Ismael moved to London in 1918. He had participated in the Grafton Galleries exhibition of Spanish Art in 1914 with two of his engravings of scenes of bullfighting and received critical acclaim in The Connoisseur.

Along with his mother three brothers and sister, he moved to New York where he tried to compete as an engraver and sculptor and obtained one year the first prize of the Salgamundi Club. But his real popularity and economical success came unexpectedy as designer of ex-libris.

When the clan of the Smiths -the widow mother and the four brothers and sister Ana Maria moved to Irvington in 1941, Ismael abandoned his artist career but continued drawing mostly nudes of women of which I left in the boxes of Paco more than 400. They were all done en fine paper with the date on the back traveling by train to Manhatan to draw from models in Academies and Broadway porno shows.

The New York Public Library owns a very complete collection and the American Society Bookplate Collectors and Designers dedicated to Ismael Smith his Year Book of 1988/89.

_______

Addendum:

Although his full name in the Spanish way mentioning the mother surname is ***** ***** Mari, he never used it neither in Spain nor in New York where because of feeling that Smith was so common he decided, especially in the prints, to sign Señor or Senor Ismael Smith.

The best biographical study of him is the article in Goya magazine of Madrid (with a cover of a Smith color drawing of Paris 1911) numbers(###) ###-####titled Ismael Smith i Mari (Barcelona, 1886, Nueva York, 1972) 20 pgs. 33 illustrations. It was reprinted by the Museum de Art de Cerdanyola with a translation in Catalan in a smart little book in 2007 upon receiving from E.G-H (Enrique Garcia-Herraiz) a big donation of Ismael Smith works to justify a special room of the Museum dedicated to this Catalan artist.

It is relevant to know that E.G-H. and Mrs. Elizabeth Knapp received from Frank, the surviving brother of the artist, (called in Spanish Paco) all his belongings of art works from Ismael kept in boxes in Mrs Knapp's house at Irvington on the Hudson. E.G-H before moving to Spain donated an important group of works to the Hispanic Society of New York, which organized an exhibition and gave several ex-libris to the N.Y Public Library to enrich its already important collection of this artist.

In Spain, he proceeded to donate the original copper plates and old prints to the Calcografia Nacional of Madrid and the Bibliorteca Nacional de Cataluya with the condition to make a new edition and a printed catalogue.

Many drawings and prints went to the Contemporary Art Museum (later on renamed Museo Reina Sofía) MNAC (Catalan Art Museum) and Museum Lazaro Galdiano of Madrid. Most of the preparatory drawings for the ex-libris went to the Biblioteca Nacional of Madrid. After all these donations were accomplished, the co-owners decided to finish for practical reasons keeping for Elizabeth Knapp a small number of representative works to join her belongings of ceramic small sculptures she had at her Irvington residence. She died in 2009.

Paco Smith in 1984: All the works were donated by "Enrique Garcia-Herraiz and Elizabeth Knapp" and later on by "E.G-H in memoriam of Paco Smith". Ismael Smith made 119 different prints of which 14 are lithographs including some four ex-libris since the La Primera Vanidad Barcelona 1909 till 1934, when he signed The Law of Christ in New York.

Since his arrival in New York early in 1919, I.S. participated in numerous etchers exhibitions but perhaps the Brooklyn Society of Etchers was his more constant venue in the Annuals shows. His main topics were Spanish Typical Scene with bullfights and flamenco dancers, Biblical subjects and portraits, a genre in which he excelled.

But since 1933 after his failure with the only sculpture commission he had - a Saint Therese for the Washington Cathedral, now lost, I.S. interest passed on from art to science. He believed he had discovered the cause and remedy of cancer and developed an obsessive activity in Libraries and medical societies. All his pseudo scientific writings are kept in the Hispanic vaults.

Ismael was interned by his brother Paco in 1962 in the Bloomingdale Psychiatric Hospital in White Plains where he died after twelve years of confinement. His last works were done in ceramic. Heads of Nurses, one of them, can be seen at the Foundation Palau in the small town of Caldetas on the Catalonian coast.

This biographical information was provided by Enrique Garcia-Herraiz, who was a friend and neighbor of the brother of Ismael, ***** ***** in Irvington, N.Y around 1980. Before he died in 1984, Frank called Paco among his friends and gave me and her lady friend Elizabeth Knapp all he kept of his brother artist. The Hispanic Society of New York, the Museum of Barcelona, the Reina Sofia in Madrid etc, have received donations from this origin.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ismael Smith has sold several of his pieces at auction from 1999 to 2012 that I have been able to review. Four were done with color. " Eva" , " Retrato Del Politico Jaun", " Dandy", and " Elegant Parisian Lady" . The majority of his pieces are an average size of 8 x 12 to 9 x 12.

Your stencil colored and in excellent condition 8 x 12 has a value of $2,500.00 in today's market. The value is based on the subject matter, size, quality and condition. If this is not framed and under glass I would suggest you frame it for protection and enjoyment. The value will increase over time as I tracked three of his paintings that have increased 60% from first sale in 1999 to the last known sale in 2012 of the same piece.

If I may be of further service please let me know. i am always happy to help.

**********

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything it is just how I am paid:

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars:

1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5 stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.

Hello, I wanted to check and see if I may be of further help I see you have not rated the answer so I may be paid for my work as of yet. If you have further questions on this painting please let me know,I am happy to help you further.