Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Nora I have a lovely etching by JN Snoey (1900). I know he

Customer Question

Hi Nora
I have a lovely etching by JN Snoey (1900). I know he was mainly an engraver who did a lot of bird etchings for Audubon but that's it. His personal work is neither highly rated nor valuable but I like it and sought more info on him. Oddly I found nothing. No bio at all. I've never run into that before. Where's he from? Dates? Any ideas? Thank you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for the request here.

In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to know the size and see images of the front, back (do not remove from frame) and a clear, in-focus close-up of the signature and/or small print.

If you had already attached images to your initial posting, they are not showing for me here on my end.

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't need to know the value. I found several references to sales of his work - including the one I have. My question is: who is he? I've rarely come across a total blank for even minor works.
Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

I will let you know if I find any pertinent biographical information on this person.

I will opt-out here and open your question again to all the experts at no additional charge. If someone knows the answer, they will respond to you here. You do not need to re-post your question.

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

Sincerely,

Nora

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

Start with just the one's that are marked, and then group together the one's with the same maker mark.

Then research first only the maker marks you can read easily.

~Nora

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't understand. Makers marks? His publisher was Fishel, Adler, and Schwartz. They published/exported a lot of art in the late 19thC. Some of their artists are pretty famous. Unfortunately Snoey isn't among that group. Aside from notices regarding his etchings there are zero bio references.
Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

My apologies, that was posting was meant for someone researching a 1000 piece porcelain shoe collection :/ I wondered why my post wasn't on there. Sorry ~Nora

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
NP Made similar mistakes my self.