rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

A clock was donated to our school. It is an African American

Customer Question

A clock was donated to our school. It is an African American lady dancing. After research it appears to be a Bradley Hubbard Clock Topsey. Bottom says 1858 Germany. Condition appears to be original. Missing wind up key.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 10 months ago.

This is called a Blinking Eye clock titled TOPSEY, intended to portray a Black Americana ballerina. This is a clock that featured eyes that moved from side to side because they were attached with a wire to the movement of the clock. This piece seems to be missing the eyes, but the photo is dark and I could be wrong there. While the bottom is marked 1858 GERMANY , this does not date the clock which is a reproduction from the 1970 time period. They were recreated in the 1970's and early 1980's by Waterbury and Bradley /Hubbard. This clock has a value of $400 to $500 even though she is a later reproduction.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read my answer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Her eyes are still there. But you may not be able to see them very clearly in the photo.

A similar clock (with eyes) recently sold for 410.00, so I will keep that $400 to $500 range for a value.

I see that you have read my answer. Please do ask for me again by putting 'for Rarewares' in the beginning of a new question.

If we are done here, please do click the stars to rate my service. The five star rating prompts the site to credit me for my answer (at no extra cost to you).