Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have this print and I want to know if it has any value but

Customer Question

Customer: Good morning, I have this print and I want to know if it has any value but unable to find anything on it. The writing is very difficult to read and when you place it in front of a mirror some of the writing is backwards.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: At the bottom is has that it was a gift of the Illinois Art Council an agency of the State from the Illinois First Commission Program in 1972
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Antique Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls. I must research up-to-date data to give the most accurate answer.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

Please send me photos of the print both front and back as well as a clear photo of the writing and signature if there is one.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "attach" or "add" link or "paper clip" you see on your reply page.

Kind regards,

Doris

I do not know why you were disconnected but I am back.

Kind regards,

Doris

Were you able to receive my message?

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Photo's are attached and I look forward to hearing from you.Thank you,
Cecilia Arce

I am sorry about the cut-off. I do not know what happened.

Please tell me the typed words you found on your print (I think these are on the back).

The image of those was not clear.

Is that where it states Gift of.... that you described in your question?

Can you tell me any letters after the 1973 in the front right corner of your print. It looks as though the last name starts with a "B."

It is very important to try to read these letters as they form the signature of the original artist.

Kind regards,

Doris

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There isn't anything printed or written on the back.

Understood. I see where you described the typed letters in your original question.

What I am trying to have you decipher is the letters in the lower right after the 1973.

Again, these are important as they form the artist's signature.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At the bottom: Gift of the Illinois Arts Council, an Agency of the State, from the First Illinois Print Commission Program
On the print in pencil: Commission Oct 12, 1973 6 of 12
As you can see in the photos the writing is also backwards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The artist's signature is also in pencil but I am unable to read it. Are you having any luck? It was given to me because the friends wife did not like it. Did you need more photos?

Perhaps a close-up of the signature after the 1973 would help.

I must go to see my doctor in a few minutes. I shall return in 4 hours.

If you are in a hurry, I can release your question so that another expert can try to answer your question.

Kind regards,

Doris

I am back now. Thank you so much for your patience.

It would be very helpful to have a clear close-up of the letters after the 1973.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the letters.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the letters as they appear to you and take a photo of the sketch.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please see below the additional photos you requested.

Thank you for the effort it took to make and send these photos but none gives me what I need.

Please take a close-up of the letters AFTER the 1973. I believe that to be the signature.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As stated AFTER the 1973 is say 6 of 12. Image 20160114_115124 shows what your asking for have you zoomed in.

Unfortunately, I cannot find an accurate answer for your question. I will release your question so that all the other professionals can choose to answer you with accuracy.
I want you to have the best answer possible. Releasing your question is called "opting-out." I will not be able to respond to you once I opt-out.
I am very sorry.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry you could not figure it out. I hope we have better luck and will you also forward all 13 photos to help the next expert. The forwarded questions and 13 photos will helpful to them plus save time.

They will automatically get them.

I must opt-out again. I will not be able to answer you again.

Kind regards,

;D