Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

I have a 5/100 of Nathaniel P. Steinberg's Grandma's

Customer Question

I have a 5/100 of Nathaniel P. Steinberg's Grandma's Gown. It is in excellent condition.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon, my name is***** will be a pleasure to help you with this question. I will look for the current primary and secondary market values for:

Nathaniel P. STEINBERG (1893-1976)

Birth place: Jerusalem, Palestine

Death place: Chicago, IL

Addresses: Chicago, IL

Profession: Etcher, painter, illustrator

Studied: AIC; also with Walcott, Bellows, Sterba;W. Reynolds; Seyffert

Exhibited: in many museums and galleries in U.S., London and Paris. Indiana Soc. Etchers, 1947 (prize); SAGA, 1950 (prize); Chicago Soc. Etchers, 1935 (prize), 1949 (prize); Paris Salon, 1937 (Print chosen by SAGA); Pallette & Chisel Club,1953( gold medal), prize,1959 (prize); Chicago Art Gld., 1955 (prize); Union Lg. Club, Chicago, 1957 (Bruce Parsons award);1964 (Preston Bradley award).

Member: Palette & Chisel Acad., Chicago (pres., 1960-61); Chicago North Shore AA; Wash. WCC; Chicago Soc. Etchers; Southern Soc. Etchers.

Work: Fed. Court, Chicago; Smithsonian Inst.; Herzl H.S., Chicago; Four Arts, Palm Beach, FL

Comments: Position: staff artist, Chicago American, 1938-.

Sources: WW66; WW47, which puts birth at 1895.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. I would like to know what the piece is worth.

The most recent auction sales records show that etchings by Nathaniel P. Steinberg have sold for $125.00 to $180.00 this is his secondary market. In gallery the estimated value would be $250.00 to $360.00.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
As a listed artist this seems very low.

Unfortunately yes. Prints are at the low end of the art market. They account for less then 8% of annual earnings in the art market. Another factor is that his art is out of fashion. Post WWII contemporary art is the hot ticket. Globs and squiggles are in, sentiment and artistry is out I am sad to say.