Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

What is the etching by C. H. Baskett "Stanbridge" worth in

Customer Question

what is the etching by C. H. Baskett "Stanbridge" worth in dollars
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 10 months ago.

Good day my name is***** am pleased to help you. I am assuming you have an original etching by: Charles Henry BASKETT (1872-1953). I will check both the primary and secondary market for you.

First here is a brief biography on the artist.

Charles Henry Baskett was an accomplished aquatint engraver, most well-known for his expressive landscapes of the English coastline and marine and river scenes. Baskett first studied art in Colchester, Essex under the tutelage of his father Charles Edouard Baskett, who was also an etcher and painter, and then at Colchester School of Art. His studies were furthered at Lambeth School of Art, London and matured under Frank Mura, a landscape painter (American b.1861-?).

Baskett was, in 1893, the first Headmaster of Chelmsford College of Science and Art. His initial aquatints were executed in 1910 and he was elected a member of the Royal Engravers (R.E.) in 1918. His aquatints, normally printed in editions of 75, were published by the eminent Lefevre Gallery, London. Baskett is thought to have exhibited at the Royal Academy during his time as a Royal Engraver. A small yet comprehensible survey of Baskett’s work was displayed in 1985 at 19 Mason’s Yard, St. James’ by N.W, Lott and H.J. Gerrish Ltd of Marlborough, Wiltshire.

Now for value. In the art world prints, works produced in multiples are at the lower end of the value scale. Original paintings and sculptures being the highest. Current auction results show that an etching by Charles Henry Baskett have sold for $100.00 to $110.00. In a gallery I would expect to see a price range of $200.00 to $250.00.

Thank you for bringing your question to Just Answer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do. It was bought from Sears Roebuck in the 1960' s as part of the" Vincent Price Collection". A letter signed by Price is taped to the back as well as a description of Baskett etchings. On the etching in the bottom left corner is the title "Stambridge" On the description of the engraving are the letters and numbers Men. 21224. Thank you for your assistance.
Sharon Elkins

You are welcome Sharon. Vincent Price was well know for both his gothic horror movies and his art collection.

Please take a moment and rate this question.

Tim