Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I purchased an oil on canvas in an antique store and the

Customer Question

I purchased an oil on canvas in an antique store and the only signature is Alex in red. Was wondering if there is any venue in which I might determine who is the artist?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 11 months ago.

Hi

You have a vintage original painting of a stylized European city street scene that dates to the 3rd quarter of the 20th century, 1950’s - 1970’s.

It is by what is known as an unlisted artist, meaning one that does not sell at auction for fine art collector and investor purposes, but a painting that is more intended for decorative framed original wall art for the home, hotel or lobby setting. Oftentimes, the artist’s name that is on the painting is fictitious and they painted in factory settings in Mexico and China. They were sold in decorator shops, furniture show room stores and department store furniture sections.

Your vintage framed oil painting could sell for $100 - $300 on today’s market. They do get offered for higher on online auction sites, but the realistic sales prices are lower than asking price. The suggested insurance, or replacement value is $400.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 11 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora