AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

I have a painting given to me by my deceased father and

Customer Question

I have a painting given to me by my deceased father and wanted to know who painted it as it has a signature but he did not remember who painted it. The painting is called "birth" it is 5' x 4'.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 11 months ago.

At your convenience, please send a clear, in-focus close-up of the signature.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 11 months ago.

I am wondering if you are still interested in having your item assessed?

Please let me know and do you have requested images available?

I look forward to reading back from you.

Sincerely,

Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 11 months ago.

I received an image of the signature, however I am not able to decipher it for you.

I will opt-out here and open your question again to all the experts at no additional charge. If someone knows the answer, they will respond to you here. You do not need to re-post your question.

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

Sincerely,

Nora

Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 10 months ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

This is quite a nice mid-century abstract, and I'd be happy to value it for you. Unfortunately, I did not get a copy of the image you sent Nora. Can you upload it here using the paperclip icon?

Jennifer

Thank you.

I reviewed extensively, as I believe Nora did too. Unfortunately, I can't find a match for this signature.

If you like, I can appraise it based on like kind and quality by an unknown artist. But it's unlikely that anyone will be able to match to an artist for you, as the signature doesn't show up in the databases or image search.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hello Jennifer I would appreciate an appraisal but would it diminishes cost id if the author is un know?

Yes, unfortunately the market is very name driven. Especially now that so many galleries and auctions are online, responding to search engines, name trumps appearance more than it ever did before.

Of course a good quality painting by an unknown, is worth far more than a poor painting by an unknown, but still its' hard without a listed name.

As a piece by an unknown artist, your abstract would likely have a retail selling price of approximately $1,000.00. It's still a good price, because midcentury abstracts like this one are hot right now.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Do you believe any other location might be able to decipher the artist's name?

Unfortunately, I don't think it's likely unless you can remember the gallery or some other additional piece of information. There were many artists painting in this style in that period, and many are lost to art history.

Jennifer

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It was done about 15-20 years ago and it was bought in Florida Miami-Dade County

Unfortunately that doesn't help narrow it down, as that is an area with many galleries, and many from the 90s are now defunct.

Sincerely,

Jennifer