Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

Looking on a set of Kutani china - has mountains and reds

Customer Question

Looking for appraisal on a set of Kutani china - has mountains and reds flowers on it -have a place setting for 8 complete in almos perfect condition and some odd pieces like vegetable bowls etc. Have picture of dinner plate I can upload - what is it worth and where can i sell it?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 11 months ago.

At your convenience, please send an image of the backside of a marked piece.

~Nora

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
here you go
Expert:  Nora replied 11 months ago.

Great, thank you. Also, what pieces are in each place setting?

~Nora

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
dinner plate, salad plate, bread and butter, cup and saucer, soup bowl
Expert:  Nora replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information. One last thing, if you hold a cup up to the light and look to the bottom of the cup, does a picture of a geisha girl appear?

~Nora

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
dont see one - taking a picture of the cup to send you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
here you go -
Expert:  Nora replied 11 months ago.

Some of the porcelain sets have lithophane bottoms to reveal a 'secret' picture of a geisha; but if you don't see one, then it's not a lithophane set.

The type of mark on yours indicates these were sold on US Army & Navy bases from the "Central Purchasing Office" after WWII.

The suggested insurance or replacement value for your set is $300.

An exceptionally large amount of these were produced for export ware during the 20th century and currently there is a very large supply of wares of this type available for sale on the market. In essence, the supply now exceeds the demand; thus sale prices are rather flat. If you were to sell this set, it will likely garner less than $100 at this time.

If you do need to sell the set at this time, the best platform would be online through Ebay, Craigslist or Etsy. I also recommend finding a local consignment shop. I do not recommend selling outright to a dealer, as they will offer 10% - 30% of the lowest perceived value.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora