Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have two very old wool handwoven rugs. One is red with a

Customer Question

I have two very old wool handwoven rugs. One is red with a large tiger the other is dark blue with a tree and two birds, possibly with silk in it. What should I do? Local rug expert went crazy over them.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 11 months ago.

Hello, My name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. Can you post photos of front and back of both rugs, any markings on the rugs and the size of the rugs. This all helps in my evaluation and giving an accurate value to each. Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Tiger rug is 4'5" long and 6'8" wide. It has some worn spots. I am sending a complete shot and face close up of the front and three shots of the back. The bird rug is 2'3" by 4'7". It is backed by the typical black cotton of an old rug. I am including a full size picture and a close up of bird and flower showing different textures and possible silk in the pink.

Thank you for the information. I will now begin the research on these. I believe they are Asian and will have all information posted here of my findings. wool and silk is a typical sign of fine older Asian rugs. Both are beautiful pieces. Please be patient I will post as soon as I have completed this.

Hello, I am going to opt out of this post and open it for another expert to step in. You do not have to do anything and it does not cost you anything. It just allows for another expert to help you.

Expert:  Nora replied 11 months ago.

These are Chinese, circa 1940's, decorative rugs that are done in the Modernist style. The style is a bit more experimental than traditional. On today's market, each can sell for $400 - $600.

Here is a link for you to a comparable 1940's Modernist rug from the 1940's, measuring 4.1 x 6.8 ft in the same style (different image) that sold for $450:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-art-deco-1940s-chinese-1724492689

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 11 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora