LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

I saw an ancient wooden gold pan in an antique store, they

Customer Question

I saw an ancient wooden gold pan in an antique store, they said was old and came from mexico. It was cracked in a few places and did look ancient. It was about 15-16" wide and fairly thick. I just looked at it through the case, I did not handle it. They were asking $2000 for it. Can you tell me anything?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a certified appraiser I would be happy to help you. The batea - Spanish for gold pan- is a particular variant of gold pan. Traditionally made of a solid piece of wood, it may also be made of metal. Bateas are used in areas where there is less water available for use than with traditional gold pans, such as Mexico and South America, where it was introduced by the Spanish. Bateas are larger than other gold pans, being closer to half a meter about 20" in diameter. These are still used today in some places of Mexico. I would need to see the wood to determine the age. If true age or processed to look older. They are very interesting pieces but $2,000 is steep for one unless it could be tied in with a specific person or was used in finding a wolrd famous nugget. These usually run 350-450.00 for the extremely old pans.

If I may be of further help please let me know.

****

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site:

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars:

1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5 stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.

Hello, I was just checking in to see if I may be of further help. If you are satisfied with the answer please take a moment to rate the answer so I may be paid for my work. If you have further questions please let me know.

****