Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have an east lake drop leaf desk late 19 century with some

Customer Question

Customer: Hi I have an east lake drop leaf desk late 19 century with some beautiful large round brass decorative emblems on the top. The brass plates have pictures of birds on them. Do you know the significance of the birds ? Do you think the desk came from Europe or American??
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I think the desk is walnut , it is very stunning and looks to be very high end
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Antiques Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and Welcome. Thank you for requesting me.

I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls. I must research up-to-date data to give the most accurate answer.

Sometimes my customers click the wrong button when they really do not want a "live conversation." Please be careful what choices you click on.

To give you the best answer and valuation, I need a photo of your Eastlake drop leaf desk, I need photos....one of the entire desk and one close up of the birds.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the birds.

To send photos you may use the "attach" or "add" link or "paper clip" you see on your reply page.

I also need the dimensions of the desk.

I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards,

Doris

The retail value range of your Camelot pattern china would be $770-800 assuming perfect condition.

The retail value range of your Williamsburg glasses would be $205-220 assuming perfect condition.

As for where to sell.....If you want to sell quickly at wholesale prices, try one of these sites.
I do not know where you live so I will make suggestions for three countries.

In US:
ChinaLane.com
ChinaFinders.com
ChinaReplacements.com

In UK:
ChinaSearch.co.uk
MatchingChina.co.uk
ChinaMatchers.co.uk
ReplaceYourPlates.co.uk

Australia: http://www.allthegalleries.com/dealers/porcelain.html

If you would like to sell close to retail , some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
GoAntiques.com - more upscale fee based
Rubylane.com - more upscale fee based
Tias.com
Amazon Marketplace: http://services.amazon.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm/ref=footer_soa?ld=AZFSSOA
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

Of these Etsy.com is the easiest and least expensive.

How to pack and send china:

China is best packed with 2 paper plates between the plates, platters and saucers. Then wrap a few plates together with several layers of bubble wrap. Tape the loose ends of the bubble wrap together.
For cups and bowls, wrap separately with a couple of layers of bubbble wrap.

Put a several inch layer of crunched newspaper in the bottom of each packing box.

Arrange the heavier items on the newspaper first. Then add the cups and small bowls on top of the heavier pieces.

In a second box, crunched newspaper, stacked plates face up, not on edges followed by lighter items.

Before putting the newspaper in the bottoms, reinforce the bottom and sides of a strong corrogated box with cut corrogated sheets (cut from another box). Then start with the crunched newsprint.

After filling each box up to about 5 inches from the top, put several inches of crumched newsprint on the top of the stacked china.

Firmly tape the box closed with several layers of tape.

Write two things on all the sides of the boxes - "Fragile" and "Top" with arrows pointing to the top.

On the top, write "This side up."

For expensive items, the Postal service will allow one to purchase higher insurance.

If possible, ship two-day service. This eliminates long trips with boxes transferred from truck to truck.

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.

There has been a site glitch.

Please ignore the last reply.

It was meant for another customer.

Please do not rate.

Please send me the photos when you have the time. Also let me know the dimensions.

Kind regards,

Doris

Are you having trouble with photos?

The customer support center can help you.

This is what I have been told by representatives of the site:

"Customers can experience issues with the site, their computer, their knowledge of how to use the internet, etc.

Anytime a customer is having trouble with the site, please indicate to them that they can go to http://ww2.justanswer.com/help for assistance. They have an option in the upper right corner for contacting the Customer Service department via email, chat, or phone. Customer service is trained to assist them, and to report any customer-facing issues that may be site-related."

I would be pleased to help you work toward an answer to your question.

Best,

Doris