Judith-on-Antiques
Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  A noted expert, author, TV personality, appraiser and columnist. President, Association of Online Appraisers. Author of 3 books on collecting.
57035021

How do I get appraisal on a silver cream pitcher?

Customer Question

how do I get appraisal on a silver cream pitcher?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Judith-on-Antiques replied 1 year ago.

HI,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

Does your teapot have any hallmarks or other trademarks anywhere? Sometimes these are difficult to find. Please use a magnifying glass and check all the edges and inconspicuous areas on the piece.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Judith I can find no markings. However, as part of the floral design their is an M with a flower below it. I could picture a close-up of that. It is on both sides of the spout near the stem.

Yes, that might be helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can see it on the picture I sent better than a close-up. I get too much reflection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This pitcher is 9" total height and 9" total wide, and it weight is nearly 1lb.

I can see it - thanks!

First, this is not a cream pitcher or tea pot, but a coffee pot. It is vintage hotel ware, used in old hotels or restaurants, and is a popular collectible.

Hotel silver was made to last, of copper composition plated with a heavy layer of soldered nickel silver. Nickel silver is 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc. There is no actual silver in it, but it does give a high shine when polished, and will last for decades, making it a cost-effective choice for hotels.

The "M" on the spout, could belong to the manufacturer, but is more likely the monogram of the hotel or restaurant in which it was used. Of course, those pieces that are identifiable as belonging to a particular establishment command the highest prices.

If your coffee pot is in very good condition, its current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately $75. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount, or $30, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would agree with your description, however, I see a WM Rogers pot that is identical accept for the hinge. Would you like to look into that possibility?

It is a generic design. You can probably find several others that look identical except for one detail. If it were a Wm Rogers piece, it would be identified. It is, of course, possible that Rogers made it for a hotel, but it would still have their mark on it. As it is now, even if they made it, that wouldn't change the value.

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about your item?

Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com; experts are verified users. Experts are only compensated when and if you, the customer, leaves a favorable rating.

Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very good job, thank you.

Glad I could help! Please rate my service now by clicking the stars, above.