Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

A painting done by flora Lyons in England in 1947 with the

Customer Question

A painting done by flora Lyons in England in 1947 with the name of the person and her age on the back of the painting
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls. I must research up-to-date data to give the most accurate answer.

Sometimes my customers click the wrong button when they really do not want a "live conversation." Please be careful what choices you click on.

Please tell the dimensions of our painting.

What is the medium - oils, watercolors, etc.?

What is the name of the person on the back as well as age?

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is Oil 19" W by 23" H
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is done in oil 19" wide by 23" high
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Msrquerrite Lovelott Ahlers Age 52

Are these the measurements inside the frame - in other words the painted canvas?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
was with her husband Commander John G. Ahlers at the american Embassy on Foreign service

Thank you. Measurements ? Inside frame or including the frame?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Painted in London 1948
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Measurements were inside the frame

Measurements, please?

Thank you.

Thank you for the information.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I should be back in 20 minutes.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

The artist's spelled her name Flora Lion. (1876-1958)

Her biography from Wikipedia

Early life

"Lion was born in London to an English father and a French mother. She studied art at the St. John's Wood Art School in 1894 before receiving further training at the Royal Academy of Arts Schools between 1895 and 1899. Lion then attended the Académie Julian in Paris throughout 1899 and 1900. From 1900 onwards she exhibited at the Royal Academy. In 1915 she married Ralph Amato, who adopted her surname.

World War One.
During the First World War Lion was commissioned by the Ministry of Information to paint factory scenes on the home front. The Ministry issued permits for Lion to paint in factories in Leeds and Bradford. In Leeds she sketched scenes in a factory building wooden flying-boats. In Bradford Lion painted women working in a munitions factory, but unusually depicted them during a meal break in their works canteen, which were a war-time innovation for Britain.Although several of the women in the painting are clearly tired the overall impression is one of great confidence among the women workers.Both paintings were completed in 1918 by which time Ministry of Information had been wound up and the Imperial War Museum had taken over the MoI artist's scheme. However, the IWM had little, if any, money available to purchase new artworks and so refused to accept the paintings despite Lion offering them at only 150 guineas each. In 1927, with financial assistance from a patron who bought one of the paintings from Lion, the two works were presented to the Museum.

Lion was also one of three women artists, alongside Anna Airy and Dorothy Coke, considered for commissions by the British War Memorials Committee but the BWMC did not acquire any paintings from any of them.

Later life

Among Lion's later commissions were a group portrait of a young Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, Duchess of York flanked by two cousins; a portrait of the wife of the Spanish ambassador, for which she received the Silver Medal, 1921, from the Société des Artistes Français; the suffragette Flora Drummond (1936);the conductor Sir ***** *****ph Wood (1937); and,for a second time in 1940, Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, by then queen-consort to King George VI. During her career Lion had at least four solo exhibitions;- one at the Alpine Club in 1923, another at Barbizon House in 1929, at the Fine Art Society during 1937 and finally at Knoedler's Gallery in 1940. Ten portraits by Lion are in the collection of the National Portrait Gallery in London. Lion received the Gold Medal from the Société des Artistes Français in 1949."

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this standard method, I was able to determine an auction value of $433 for your smaller painting compared to her other works.

This means a retail art gallery would probably charge about $1400-1600 for your painting.

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a large painting, and I found a unknown Portraiture of a lady in a art action for $5.000.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already knew about the artist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not satisfied with your answer

These are the auction results I found for Flora Lion. See the following.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
by the same artist in a privat action done of only her paintings, I must join as a dealer to get more infor about her works
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New Orleans and england

20x15.51" sold for $268 in 2006.

36 x 28" sold for $777 in 2006.

33.25 x 27.25" for $500 in 2013.

The average for Flora Lion paintings at auction is $1.06 per sq inch.

19 x 23 x 1.06 = $463 total auction value.

An art dealer could not get away with charging $5000 for your painting.

However, the painting would sell higher in a large city, especially London.

Kind regards,

Doris

In addition, I found that 50% of her painting were left unsold at auction.

Kind regards,

Doris

See the following auction records for Lion. The one that sold so hig, was a full length large portrait.

Kind regards,

Doris