rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I think I have a piece of Meissen porcelain with the

Customer Question

I think I have a piece of Meissen porcelain with the Augustus Rex mark. I would like verification - can someone do that for me. I can send pictures of the item and of the mark if necessary.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. You can add pictures by using the Add Files feature on your screen. Let me see the mark, the piece and also note the size for me. I will get an email alert when you respond, so there is no hurry.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
approx. measurements: 11.5" h. x 12" w.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the damage is on the the flower on the dragon's head - one petal is broken (it has been poorly repaired)
also it is chipped at the top of the pedestal base where it meets the bowl
there are a couple of pieces missing - it is hard to tell what they were - possibly "reins" for the dragon (there are holes to accommodate it in the young boys hands, also the women's raised hand has a hole in it to accommodate something
there is a small amount of damage on the curved flower petal/tail that the woman is sitting on

This mark is the Augustus Rex Meissen porcelain mark but it is not the one used in the 1723 to 1760 time period. This is an imitation made in the 19th century (there were no screws and nuts in the 1700's), but that does not mean that it is without value. This is the mark of Helena Wolfsohn of Dresden, Saxony, Germany; a painting and decorating studio in the 1880's. This is an extraordinary compote/centerpiece, but the repairs to detract from the price. With the repairs and chips, this piece has a value of $1200 as it is now.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read my answer.

I see that you have read my answer.

Please do click the stars to close the question, thank you!