Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.
48688175

I have a F.Mauthe ***** ***** Chime clock with the numbers

Customer Question

Customer: I have a F.Mauthe ***** ***** Chime clock with the numbers 68 above the name and W501 below thre name . Can you give me any furthur info about the clock and its Value ....ty Ronald Melanson..
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: clock is about 6 inches high and 24 inches long with with open glass face ..Roman numerals..and walnut finish..with three different place to winnd the cloock with large key ...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Antiques Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Diana F. replied 10 months ago.

Hi Ronald. Thanks for choosing us. My name is ***** ***** I would be glad to help.

.

Can you tell me if the attached picture looks like your clock or not?

.

Thanks,

Diana

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Diana...clock is exactly like mine ....could you kindly send me detailed info about clock in perfect condition and its value please ...Thanks S hirley !
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ronald is My Hubby...

Hi Shirley.

.

Thanks for getting back with me. Mauthe has a long history. They were actually founded in 1844 has a company that provided watch parts. It wasn't until about 1860 that they started producing their own wall clocks and it wasn't until the turn of the century before they started producing clocks more like mantle or desks clocks.

.

Unlike some other companies, Mauthe doesn't have a database and you can't date clocks by any serial numbers they have. That makes getting exact dates a little bit trickier. It's an art deco style clock that is a bit of a take off of earlier 1920s/1930s styles that were being made by companies like Junghans and Kienzle. Some refer to this trend by Mauthe as "Gelsenkirchener Barock", which translates to "German Baroque". It's a reference to the trend that first appeared in Germany in the 30s and than again the 50s. It was a celebration of shapes and decoration in design.

.
Your model should have a floating balance escapement. Mauthe didn't really develop and begin using that style until the mid 1950s. So, based on that and the overall design, your clock likely dates to the late 50s or very early 1960s. If it matches the picture I sent and based on what you first said, then yes, you should have the walnut version with brass accents. It also in a sort of mahogany and a more maple wood finish. It's a key wind, 8 day clock, and should chime every quarter hour. I was though Mauthe was a bit ahead of their time when it came to marketing. If you still had the original instructions, you'd see they actually printed them in German, English, French and Spanish.

.

If would make a great vintage piece for someone that loves the old, sleek art deco style. If it's in excellent, condition it should be worth about $125 to $175.

.

If you decide you want to sell it....prices will vary a bit depending on the condition and where you try to sell it. Online markets (like Ebay) and garage sales tend to go for far less than the actual value.

.

Etsy is turning out to be a great alternative to Ebay. Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great online stores, but they generally have a store "setup" fee, so unless you have a lot of items to list, it may be a bit too pricey, but they do get the "higher" paying customers.

.

http://www.bonanza.com, GoAntiques and Artfire are great up and coming sites as well. Etsy would be great for something like this.
.

You might check out the consignment cost with any local antique shops, especially if you have any higher end shops near you. Some places charge about 25% to 30% of final sell price, but in dealing local you generally have less competition. It's always worth checking out.
.

Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself as opposed to an auction or selling it to a dealer. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.
.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.
.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
Have a great day
~Diana