Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

We are moving onto our new sailboat and I have to clean out

Customer Question

We are moving onto our new sailboat and I have to clean out the house. I have an armoire that my Mom gave me 30 years ago. She said she paid $6K for it back then. I also have an old wooden/metal lined ice chest.
Can you give me an idea what they are worth and if you would be interested in purchasing either one?
Thanks!
Michael
(###) ###-####
I have images. How to upload?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is***** will be happy to help you.
.
Please Note: I do not do phone calls~ I will not request a phone call ! If you get that in an email do not click that, it is not from me! There is data that needs to be obtained, this is always best in written form, in order to give a correct honest appraisal. I will not ever request a phone call!
.
We are an online site that values items for customers we do not purchase items, the site we are is justanswer.com. I can help you with the current market values on your two items if you like, and suggest a few sites you can sell these from.

Glenda

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That would be great if can help me with the current market values on the two items and suggest a few sites I can sell these from.

Hello

If you could send a picture of these I can value them for you. Also can you give me the size of the Armoire and if there are any makers names on either piece.

.

It is very important to be able to see what the customer has in order to give a correct informed value!
.
Here are instructions for sending images several ways, you can choose which one best fits you , be sure it is uploaded to your computer,
.

If you do not see the blue button that states attach file at the bottom of your page here are instructions to upload images !
.
Click the link: for instructions on uploading images
.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
.
Or you may use this method:
.
Go to www.imgur.com
.
click on Computer
.
Select the picture file from the box that pops up.
.
Hit open.
.
Click on Start Upload
.
And then copy the link they give you (it will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx) and paste it here.
.
Or:Send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me.
.
Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".
.
In the body of the message put , your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with.
.
Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.
.
Glenda

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The armoire is 5' tall by 4' wide. No markings that I know of. Here are the images http://imgur.com/a/6lmevThanks.

Hello

Do you know the age of each piece?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I spoke with a dealer this morning and he said the armoire was actually a linen press. He guessed somewhere around 1880, built in the Southeast. No idea on the ice chest.

Hello

Thank you.
.
This is your answer, please rate this after reading the answer. You do so clicking one of the top stars or smiley faces ( on phones possibly )!
.

The Antique Linen Press circa:1880, has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $4***-**-****.00, the Antique Ice Chest-$550.00-675.00, depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from. You can sell in your local area or a larger city near you with Craigslist, it is free, and when they item sells the buyer picks it up.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda
PS:
I would greatly appreciate it if you took a moment to rate my answer to you. We appraisers come to the site to answer questions for customers, we do not work for the site. We answer questions then get rated, if we get one of the top two ratings ( stars or smiley faces ) we then get a portion of what a customer put up as deposit or value of the question. It never costs the customer more money to rate us.

Hi, I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going. Let me know if you still need help with this questions. Since it is not rated yet, I wonder if there was a problem with the answer I provided for you?
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda

Hi, I'm just checking in once again, is there anything I can help with in order to get this rated?
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda