Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a fully dressed bisque baby doll with movable eyes

Customer Question

I have a fully dressed bisque baby doll with movable eyes and open mouth with teeth. The markings on the back of the head say "Germany" and on the next line it looks like
"% AMBEE". All of the clothing is original with a body that's stuffed with something that looks like brown kitty litter. What can you tell me about her?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 11 months ago.

At your convenience, please send a clear, in-focus close up image of the marks on the back of the head. As well, what is the height of the doll?

~Nora

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The doll is 14" high
Expert:  Nora replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 11 months ago.

I am not able to make a match to this maker mark for you.

I will opt-out here and open your question again to all the experts at no additional charge. If someone knows the answer, they will respond to you here. You do not need to re-post your question.

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

Sincerely,

Nora

Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I"d be happy to help.

Is it possible the word under "Germany" is "EFFANBEE?" Is anything written below that?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't think that is the case. My best guess still has a blank in it. It looks to me like A_AANBEE. The blank may be a B or a P. There is another mark below that but the body of the doll begins there and I can't read it. Looks like it might be a G or a 6 followed by upper loops which might indicate 0 (zero) or an O then it might have a "/" and another 2 numbers or letters. Sorry, that's all I have.

The thing is, your doll's face is remarkably similar to the Effanbee Baby Lovums doll, made in composition in the 1920s.

Effanbee dolls were rubber and composition copies of German bisque dolls.

Your doll is bisque, and appears to be from the late 20th century.

I'm looking into this further, but you can search Effanbee Lovums to see what I mean.

Jennifer

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I should have told you that I got the doll when my husband's grandmother died in the 1970's. She was in her 70's when she died and had had it her whole life. It may even have been her mother's doll.

Interesting. The molding of the lettering on the back looks very modern, as does the color on the front. I'll look further.

Jennifer

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The doll is old enough that the clothing though in near perfect condition it terribly fragile from age.

I'm going to have to opt out. I just can't find the marking (what I can see of it).

Let's see if a third appraiser will be able to figure it out!

Jennifer

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello

Maybe I can help you with this. I need you to do a pencil rub on the wording. Take a piece of paper and a lead pencil, hold the paper tightly against the wording on the doll, and then rub the pencil over the paper pressing as hard as possible in order to pull up the word.

Glenda