LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

How to distinguish the red sandalwood or zitan from ordinary

Customer Question

How to distinguish the red sandalwood or zitan from ordinary rosewood furniture ?!
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** would be happy to help you. Ordinary rosewood is an East Indian tree having a useful dark purple wood compared to Titan, or Red Sandalwood, is a tree of India and East Indies yielding a hard fragrant timber prized for cabinetwork and dark red heartwood used as a dye wood. Rosewood is darker then sandalwood. The grains on sandalwood are coarser then the delicate flow of the grain on rosewood. Its hard to tell you- but if you put a piece of rosewood and sandalwood together you can see the grains and the coloring are very different.

***

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site:

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars:

1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5 stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.