Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have set of Viners 100-piece Traditional Bead silverplate

Customer Question

I have set of Viners 100-piece Traditional Bead silverplate service for 8 in the original box that I purchased while living in England in 1993. As I understand, better quality stainless has all but made silverplate obsolete, but as it's not made much anymore, perhaps it is more valuable. As I recall, I paid £300 in 1993. Just wondering if anyone has an approximate value for such a set?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls. I must research up-to-date data to give the most accurate answer.

Sometimes my customers click the wrong button when they really do not want a "live conversation." Please be careful what choices you click on.

Thank you for the information.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I should be back in about 30 minutes.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

The value of plated silver has dropped significantly in the last 20 years. Today's two worker household lifestyles do not leave much time for polishing silver nor do many have access to servants who can polish for them. Sterling silver is still desirable because it is seen as an investment in a semi-precious metal.

300 GBP in 1993 with inflation would be 555 GBP today if your set were in like new condition.

From my research, the 555 GBP is the best retail price your set would sell for.

In USA dollars, that is $818 today.

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.