Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.
48688175

My mother has a complete set of Noritake China ( made in

Customer Question

My mother has a complete set of Noritake China ( made in Japan 5605-MARGOT) from her wedding given to her in 1961.
How may I have it appraised and then possibly sell it?
It is service for 12, with all of the serving dishes and dessert/coffee service as well.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Diana F. replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I can help you with an appraisal and with a list of places where you might be able to sell it.

.

I understand you have a service for 12, but what's in a set for 12 can vary a bit. If it's not too much trouble can you give me a list of exactly what you have in your set? Depending on exactly what you have the value can vary quite a bit.

.

Thanks,
Diana

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay.
12 dinner dishes
12 luncheon dishes
12 soup or salad bowls
12 dessert dishes
12 dessert bowls
12 coffee cups
12 coffee cup dishes
1 large serving platter
1 smaller serving platter
1 covered vegetable dish
1 uncovered vegetable dish
1 gravy boat attached to small platter
1 sugar and creamer serversIs that list sufficient?
Expert:  Diana F. replied 1 year ago.

Hi. That is perfect. That is just what I needed. Thank you! If you'll give me a few minutes, I will get everything together for you.

~Diana

Expert:  Diana F. replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Thanks for being patient. I appreciate it.

.

Margot was discontinued in 1967 and it only ran for a short time, so many of the pieces, especially the serving pieces are getting harder to find. That's always a good thing if you're looking to possibly sell a set. Here are the values of your pieces:

.

12 dinner dishes - $20 to $25 each
12 luncheon dishes - $8 to $12 each
12 soup or salad bowls - $10 to $15 each
12 dessert dishes - $5 to $8 each
12 dessert bowls - $5 to $8 each
12 coffee cups and dishes set - $15 to $20 each set
1 large serving platter - $60 to $85
1 smaller serving platter - $20 to $30
1 covered vegetable dish - $75 to $100
1 uncovered vegetable dish - $35 to $50
1 gravy boat attached to small platter - $30 to $40
1 sugar bowl - $30 to $40

1 creamer - $15 to $20

.

As a whole, the set will have a value around $900 to $1300.

.

That should do it, but if I missed anything, please let me know.
.

I divided it up because you can often get a higher value by breaking the set up and by piecing it out. It does take longer though. This way you know the price of each piece as well as one set.
.
Deciding on which way to sell it really depends on how fast you need to sell it. If you'd like to sell it fast, I'd recommend selling it as one lot and in the lower price range.
.
The only downside to selling china right now is that there are a number of people trying to currently get rid of their china so there is quite a bit on the market. It make take a few selling tries, but there are collector's out there.
.
For selling, Etsy and Amazon are turning about to be a great alternative to Ebay. http://www.bonanza.com and http://www.artfire.com are pretty good up and coming online sites. Etsy has fantastic rates and really does well with vintage dinnerware.
.
Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great selling sites too. They do sell worldwide. There is also GoAntiques.
.
You might check out the consignment cost with any local antique shops. Some places charge about 25% to 30% of final sell price, but in dealing local you generally have less competition. It's always worth checking out.
.
Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself as opposed to an auction or selling it to a dealer. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.
If I can be of any further help or if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to contact me.
.
I hope this has been helpful to you.I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.
Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively.If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.
.
When you get the survey in email please consider filling it out.These ratings should be based on my professionalism and courteousness to the customer. I am not responsible for any issues with the site or any values that are not as high as expected. I cannot control either one. Thank you so much!
.
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
Have a great evening!
~Diana

Expert:  Diana F. replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I was just checking in to see if you received my answer and to see if there was anything else I can do for you. If you have a moment and are pleased with the answer, a rating would be greatly appreciated. If you still have more questions, I'll be glad to answer what I can.

.

.
Thanks

Diana