Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

I have a plate that I suspect is a very old Chinese plate,

Customer Question

I have a plate that I suspect is a very old Chinese plate, and I would like to get more information on it. How can I send some pictures?
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It appears to be thrown, not cast, from a flecked, lower fired clay. The decoration appears to be hand-painted, not transferred. There is no makers mark on the back. It has bamboo branches decorating the back rim.
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 11 months ago.

Happy 2016 my name is***** you for your question. As we proceed I will ask you several question the answers will provide clues that will help us identify your plate. What is the size of the plate? Next, hold the plate on the palm of your hand under the base. Give a light thump with you finger nail. Does it ring? One more thing please send an image of the back.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ten inches in diameter. It has a low, dull ring, not a higher pitched ring. I tried to add files with extra images, including a back image. Did they come through?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi, Tim;
I still can't tell if the other 4 images came through... Could you just let me know if you got them, then I will wait to hear from you when it is convenient.
Josie

Hello Josie, the one image of 1/4 of the front came through. Did you tap the plate to tell if it rings?

Hi Josie, here is what I have so far. Based on the front design, it looks like a Chinese blue and white plate, Kangxi (1662-1722), It would help to see the back of the plate.

Josie I will be offline until Sunday.

Til Then Tim

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi, Tim;
The plate measures 10 inches in diameter. It has a low ring that is not very clear -- not a clear high ring of, say, porcelain. I will try to send the pix again -- I don't know why they aren't coming through.
Thanks!
Josie

Josie,

I have looked through the reference material on you plate. Based on the overall look, the design and style of decoration the plate appears to be as I stated a Chinese blue and white plate, Kangxi period (1662 - 1722) possibly a little later. This is typical of the wares China exported to the Dutch merchants in the early 18th Century. As to value in perfect condition they sell in a high end shop for $500.00 to $650.00.