Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a chess set handed down to me.my great great great

Customer Question

I have a chess set handed down to me.my great great great great grandfather came to Australia on the ship the HIMYALIAN in 1840. the chess set has a characteristic in that the pieces are all hand carved from ebony and beech,and on the bottom of each piece is a little nib that locates each piece on the board squares to prevent them sliding of the board when the sailing ship lists in the ocean .the voyage wqs 9 months from England to Australia.im not sure if the chess set was made for the voyage ,or if it is older than that. My great grandfather has a big history as a pastoralist and pioneer in the early days of settlement of Australia, owning several farms in Victoria,one was 70,000acres.(I would like to know how rare it is.and if possible maybe a value,ive had the item for 45years...thank you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is***** wohld be happy to help. Can you post a few photos of the.overall set, close up photos of the board and of the bottom of pieces. All of this will help in giving you age and value. Also is there any marking on the board?