Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

Tryin to find out which black knight dish my step father

Customer Question

Customer: tryin to find out which black knight dish my step father left me hohenberg bavaria logo knight in standing beside horse
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: registered usa Mayflower copyright flowers in all but open 3.5 center, some gold trim around otside and next to open whitish are in middle
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Antiques Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes all my dishes have been individually wrapped
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
registered usa, have photos, 10 1/2 dinner plate
flowers are rose colored tulip like flowers, smal few plue, some varying sizesof yellow goldish flowers
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Black Knight china.

Could you very kindly attach a photo and one of the mark and I'll identify it for you and give you a value.

Many thanks and wait to hear.

Best wishes,

Robert.

PS. Once you have the photos in your computer it's a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon located above the text box where you are typing to me. Or click on the "Add Files" tab. R

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry iam late we doing estate sales and i tried once before to send the photos but was not sure they went through
richard
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard,

No problem with the pause in getting back to me, and thanks for the photos, I can see exactly what you have.

This colorful floral chintz pattern with gold embellishments is called "Mayflower". It was created by the C.M. Hutschenreuther porcelain factory in Hohenburg, Germany, in the 1930s and marketed in the US under the Black Knight brand.

"Black Knight" was the trade-name used by the New York based US importer Graham & Zenger (active in the 1920s & 1920s) on porcelain made in Germany, mainly C.M. Hutschenreuther in Bavaria, and Carl Tielsch in Altwasser (now Stary Zdrój) in what is now Poland. It was very high quality china, and successful in its day, but the import business came to an abrupt and permanent end with the outbreak of World War II.

As far as value is concerned, there does seem to be some sustained collector interest in this pattern on the secondary market (auctions and on line). This example, for instance, sold recently on line for $25 which is probably about the top end. I would give yours an auction or on line (eBay etc) value in the range of $18 - $28.

It therefore has a full retail value (if you saw it for sale in an antique store) of $60. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

I do hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert S.

PS. If there's anything more I can help you with on this, please don't hesitate to ask. If not, could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. And if you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Robert S....." in the subject line. Thanks, R.