AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

I recently obtained a photographic portrait of a black child

Customer Question

I recently obtained a photographic portrait of a black child circa 1910 in an oval gesso frame with the domed glass. I am curious what price I shounderstand sell it at.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 11 months ago.

Hello

Thank you for making your question to JustAnswer. My name is*****'m an Antiques Expert and I will try to help you with your particular inquiry. Please, don't hesitate to contact me any time or to make follow up questions if needed.

Do you know who took the picture?

Is there any text at the back of the picture? Is the photograph signed?

Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Robert,The gentleman I got it from literally dug it out of a barn in South Georgia and did not have any other information about the photo. I can not see any signature on the "face" of the photo and I am a little scared to pry up the nails on the back of the frame. I tried to remove them last night, but only got half way and did not see any signature or name on the back of the photo. There was a number written in pencil on the back, but it did not seem significant. I am open to trying to remove the backing from the frame completely to get a better look if you think that that would make a significant difference in the selling price for the portrait.

In that case there isnt any clue about the photographed or even any info about the picture.

n this case I will opt out, as I think I cannot help you with this item.

Sorry

Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

This is a lovely little piece of Black Americana. The frame is particularly nice, and the background is hand colored. It was likely done by an itinerant photographer, so it's quite unlikely it's signed anywhere.

Given the quality of the frame, this would have a retail value of $100.00 - $200.00, depending on the locality and local economy.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

I see you have not yet rated/accepted my answer. How can I help you further?

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Jennifer