Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

That is fine. I am asking about a Jean Poklop watercolor I

Customer Question

That is fine. I am asking about a Jean Poklop watercolor I purchased from friend in Chicago. He acquired it from an art patron associated with the Chicago Institute, who used to house artists in residence. I don't know his name. He died recently. Anyway, I saw another Jean Poklop watercolor, one from the time period in which she was living in France. It was appraised at $200. However, since I believe that the one I have is of an American subject, a city waterscape, uses more pleasing colors, blues, greys and purples rather than greens and yellows and seems to be a less naive image, I believe it may be worth a little more money. I know this is small, just 13.5X8 inches and not from her later surrealist period. This one is definitely more impressionistic. It kind of looks like you are viewing the image from a rain-soaked window. However, I"d like you to take a look at it none-the-less. I can provide any images you want in order to help the process along. I am looking for a valuation as well as an idea of whether I need to list my image on my insurance policy. I purchased the picture because I like it. So, I won't be heartbroken if it isn't worth a lot of money. Thank you for your cooperation. Sue
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 11 months ago.

Sue,

Jean Poktop is a relatively unknown artist whose work has not been internationally recognized.

Therefore your small painting would not be priced higher than $350-400 in a retail art gallery.

An insurance replacement value would be $400.

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Let me know,
Kind regards,
Doris