LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

We have a pair of signed Steuben clear star shaped drapery

Customer Question

We have a pair of signed Steuben clear star shaped drapery tie backs. We cant find any information on them. How can we find out what they are worth. We have a small antique booth and would like to sell them there. They belonged to my mother.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Wayne replied 11 months ago.

My name is***** have been buying, selling and appraising antiques since 1970.
Can you post a photo of these?
1.
Click the paperclip icon
2.
Click the Browse icon
3.
Click the Browse button
4.
Select your file and click Open
5.
Click OK
6.
Click Insert
7.
Click Save Changes on this page

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do not see a paperclip icon
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK, I did get them to upload. I included a picture in my hand so you could get a feel for the size. I tried to get a picture of the signature but it is too small to see in the photo. It is signed though.
Expert:  Wayne replied 11 months ago.

I can not find a match for Steuben, but I have found something similar for Swarovski. Could these be signed by Swarovski by any chance?

Thanks,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nope, most definitely Steuben. I wish I could get a picture.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK....here's the signature. Not a great picture but you can see it's Steuben.
Expert:  Wayne replied 11 months ago.

Great photo. I can't find a match for this. I will opt-out of this question and open this up for others.

Thanks,

Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am one of the expert appraisers here at justanswer. i would be happy to help you. Please allow me to do some research and I will post back here this evening. Thank you Tanya

You have a beautiful set of drape tie backs. The age is 1930-1935. the value on the set selling them together is 150-175.00 very few were produced and it is believed they were produced on custom order only. You could not just walk in and buy a set. Very nice pieces. Thank you for sharing these on justanswer with us.

Here is a brief history of the company I ran across and wished to share with you.

For thirty-five hundred years, glass has been made in much the same way—by heating sand with an alkali such as ashes to help it melt and with a stabilizer such as lime to help it resist the attack of moisture. Glass has been valued since ancient times for its ability to capture and reflect light and for the wealth of shapes it can be given as well as for its many utilitarian virtues. Since 1676, the clearest glass, called crystal, has been made with the addition of lead which gives crystal greater brilliance, weight and reflective qualities.

Steuben Glass was founded by the Englishman, Frederick Carder, in 1903 in Corning, NY which is in Steuben (stoo-BEN) County—hence the name of the company. From 1903 until 1933, Steuben produced colored art glass which is referenced as the Carder period. In the late 1920’s—early 1930’s, Carder experimented to perfect the formula for the finest crystal in the world and from 1933 until the closing of the business in 2011, only clear crystal pieces were made.

With its magic formula including approximately 30% lead, Steuben Glass artisans designed and produced a wide range of primarily hand formed pieces ranging from Vases, Bowls, Candlesticks, Serving Pieces, Tableware and Drinking Accessories to the wonderful Animals and Ornamental/Decorative items. Beginning with the introduction of the famous Gazelle Bowl at the World’s Fair in 1939, Steuben Glass began an important tradition of producing copper wheel engraved exhibition pieces which were the most expensive and intricate sculptures in the line. In the late 1960’s under the initial guidance of the incomparable James Houston, the extremely popular Major Ornamental Design Series was introduced with most pieces having either a gold or silver component.

Having been a division of Corning, Inc. since 1918, Steuben Glass was sold to an outside group in August of 2008 and the business was permanently closed in 2011.

If I may help you further please let me know. I am always happy to help.

*****

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site:

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars:

1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5 stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.

*****

Hello wanted to check if I may be of further help please let me know.