Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a set of 12 dinner plates with muted black (becomes

Customer Question

I have a set of 12 dinner plates with muted black (becomes grey in appearance) rims with 6 sets of 2 flowers that are pale pink and yellow with pale green leafs and in between each set small white flowers. The center of each depicts different scenes from a steam locomotive, sailing ship, winter horse/sleigh ride, etc.. On the back of each plate: at the top, the name of each scene; below in an ornate, scrolled framing the enclosed wording "COLORED ENGRAVINGS FOR THE PEOPLE PUBLISHED BY N. CURRIER LITHOGRAPHER,*****(nearly opposite the city hall) NEW-YORK. FOR SALE HERE"; below the frame "ADAMS (with crest) EST*1657 ENGLAND. They are in excellent condition. Belonged to my mother's parents in Davenport, Ia. Guessing they were purchased in the 1930-40's. Would love an estimated value.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls. I must research up-to-date data to give the most accurate answer.

Sometimes my customers click the wrong button when they really do not want a "live conversation." Please be careful what choices you click on.

Let me now study your question. My next response either will be my answer or to ask for any additional information I might need to give you the best answer with the value.

Kind regards,

Doris

The marks on your plates indicate they were made by ***** ***** and Sons, Ltd. the mark dates 1914-1940 in Tunstall, Stoke, Staffordshire, UK.

Different scenes vary in retail vintage store price from $32-44 each.

I wish I could be more specific but the price depends on how complicated the design is.

As for where to sell.....If you want to sell quickly at wholesale prices, try one of these sites.
I do not know where you live so I will make suggestions for three countries.

In US:
ChinaLane.com
ChinaFinders.com
ChinaReplacements.com

In UK:
ChinaSearch.co.uk
MatchingChina.co.uk
ChinaMatchers.co.uk
ReplaceYourPlates.co.uk

Australia: http://www.allthegalleries.com/dealers/porcelain.html

If you would like to sell close to retail , some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
GoAntiques.com - more upscale fee based
Rubylane.com - more upscale fee based
Tias.com
Amazon Marketplace: http://services.amazon.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm/ref=footer_soa?ld=AZFSSOA
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

Another method that could be very effective would be to place a classified in the "Maine Antique Digest" It has a large readership of collectors all across the country.

I highly recommend this method. They only charge $25 for 25 words in a classified ad. There publication is as a monthly newspaper as well as on their internet website.

http://www.maineantiquedigest.com/advertising

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

If not, let me know how I can help.

Doris