Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

What Italian antiques are a good investment to buy there and

Customer Question

What Italian antiques are a good investment to buy there and bring back to the US?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls. I must research up-to-date data to give the most accurate answer.

Sometimes my customers click the wrong button when they really do not want a "live conversation." Please be careful what choices you click on.

Items I have found to be good investments bought in Italy:

Carrara Marble (very white) carved items - some are found at Tuscany

Capodimonte statues and candlesticks and chandeliers

Maps

Terracotta items

Blood red coral jewelry from Naples

Hand-blown glass figures, paperweights similar to Murano glass near Venice

Rosaries

Prayer books with carved covers

To be termed an "antique," the item needs to be more than 100 years old.

Buy items from the end of the 19thC to 1920s. These are or soon will be antiques and will be more affordable than earlier items. Still, if you find affordable prices on older items, buy them.

Trust your own taste. If you like something, others will as well.

Avoid ivories. There are very strict laws about transporting and selling them in many countries.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty or site charges - both are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.