rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

Would like the value of 74 piece Galvin,series H, 1910,

Customer Question

Would like the value of 74 piece Galvin,series H, 1910, discontinued, model 164041 sterling silver flatware set.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 11 months ago.

Please add a picture of the pattern and of the mark on one on the pieces. You can do this by using the Add Files feature on your screen.

Your two photos were in my email at 1pm EST today, thank you.

The photos really help! This is a set of Alvin (not Galvin) sterling flatware. Alvin was a company out of Providence, Rhode Island that was eventually bought out by Gorham in 1928. This pattern is named the Maryland pattern and was first created in 1910 by designer Charles Harman. I see that your set has no monograms, which is an advantage in price. This set should have approximately 80 to 90 weighable troy ounces (dinner knives counted as 1/2 troy ounce) of sterling silver. The factors of weight, antique value and condition give this set a value of $1200 to $1300 retail and $3500 as an insurance/replacement value.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read my answer.

I see that you have read my answer. Was there anything else about this set that you needed to know? If not, I would appreciate you clicking the stars to rate me.