Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

Can you appraise a "vintage oriental

Customer Question

Can you appraise a "vintage oriental tapestry/rug"?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 11 months ago.

The writing around the border is Arabic, it could be a prayer or proverb, however I do not read Arabic myself. If it were a prayer rug, the center image would usually be in the form of a entryway to a mosque so that one end can point to Mecca.

In the meantime, I will opt-out and open your question again to all the experts at no additional charge. If someone knows the writing and can translate it and determine the value, they will respond to you here. You do not need to re-post your question.

Merry Christmas to you!

~Nora

Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 11 months ago.

Hello, My name is***** am one of the expert appraisers here at justanswer. I would be happy to help you. I have a question that will help in evaluating the rug. What are the measurements of the rug excluding the tassel? Thank you I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The tapestry or rug is 5.5 inches x 8 inches
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 10 months ago.

Hello I would be happy to help you. Can you post a photo of the front and back please.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Again?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Those are the pics

Hello, for some reason the photos never posted in your original posting as nothing shows on my end here except now with the ones you posted this evening. I will review the photos and post back here shortly.

At 5.5" x 8" this is an alter rug. It was placed on an alter with the statues and offerings placed on top. I will opt out as I do not recognize the pattern used here. It will allow for other professionals to help. It does not cost you anything more it just allows the question to be reopened. Thank you

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello

Maybe I can help you with this. This is a Vintage Prayer Rug, it appears to be from the early part of the 20thC, the pattern is not listed anywhere so it is impossible to know what the pattern is. This would have more then likely have been on a label on the back of the rug, which came off. This is quite common to find these vintage rugs with the labels missing. It is Persian in Style, and very possibly made in Iran. Although in researching this I did find there were quite a few made in Italy. Those seem to be marked on the back side of the rug, with Italy. So I am sure yours originated from the Middle East.

.
This is your answer, please rate this after reading the answer. You do so clicking one of the top stars or smiley faces ( on phones possibly )!
.
The Vintage Persian Prayer Rug, has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $250.00-375.00, depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from. You can sell in your local area or a larger city near you with Craigslist, it is free, and when they item sells the buyer picks it up.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
.
Rating of the answer is for my professionalism in my communications with you. It is not based on the value of an item, which appraisers have no control over, or any site issues ( technical or otherwise) that may occur while using the site.

Appraisers are independent of the Just Answer site, we do not work for the site. So the only way we are compensated for our time, is by the rating you give me by clicking on of the stars or smiley faces you see.

Please take the time to rate me,

Thank you

Glenda