Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

I have recently purchased a 1st edition copy of Defoe's

Customer Question

I have recently purchased a 1st edition copy of Daniel Defoe’s pamphlet “The Shortest Way with the Dissenters: Or Proposals for the Establishment of the Church”, printed in 1702.
It is complete and in fair condition.
What I would like to know is how many known copies of this specific pamphlet still exist, if there was a known recent auction or sale of this specific pamphlet and an estimate of its value.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 11 months ago.

Good day my name is Tim.

I am a Certified IRS Qualified Fine Art Appraiser. It will be a pleasure to put my expertise, libraries, resources, and experience in the field to work for you.

Please tell me is the pamphlet on Laid paper? Laid paper is a type of paper having a ribbed texture imparted by the manufacturing process. If held up to the light you should see rows of lines made by the drying screen.

Assuming that you have an authentic 1st edition pamphlet of Defoe (Daniel)] The Shortest-Way with the Dessenters.

Auction records so far show 2 copies sold 1 a Sothebys in 2006 for $2,000.00 and one in 2012 at Bloomsbury Auction for $2,976.00. As far as copies there are those held in Library Collections such as the Library of Congress and some University Libraries.

If you require an further assistance please let me know.

Have a Merry Christmas

Cheers Tim