Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a 20 inch mammoth tusk piece...It shows a straight

Customer Question

I have a 20 inch mammoth tusk piece...It shows a straight biface cut, a paleo-indian chipped area and most importantly evidence of cordage wrap at one end and evidence of 2 more pieces of cordage at the other. it was reburied because the chipped area has deep maroon phosphate coloring, as does the remnants of the PETRIFIED cordage....want to selll thks for any helpful hints. Where to look for a buyer, etc. Once one sees the cut, the chipped area and the cordage remnants... there is no doubt that at least 15,000 years ago .....paleo man, did some literal handicrafting on this piece.. Thks....Randy **
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser and I'd be happy to help.

I'd need to see an overall photo, and a clear close-up of the marks you mention.

Photo upload instructions are here:

https://ww2-secure.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Here are the pictures.First and second pictures: Two petrified cordage remnants and phosphated chip area.Third picture: Bifacial cut next to cordage remnant.Fourth and fifth pictures: Close up of the two cordage wraps and chipped area.Please review and let me know what you think..........price? What venue can you suggest for a sale? I would rather sell to a private party than at auction.Thanks you.R***** *****
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just making sure you got this. Please let me know ASAP

My apologies. I was away for the holiday.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello JM,I made an error in the length of the tusk. Instead of 21" it's 16". It weighs 3 lbs. I am sending 7 more pictures as you requested. Some might help you out. When you open these zip files you will see the following:1. Best evidence of paleo indian cordage/wrap
2. Close up of bi facial blade cut
3. Other evidence of cordage
4. Showing two separaate cordage wraps
5. Evidence of chipping and reburial
6. Another shot of bi facial cut
7. Overall viewPlease get back to me with your best appraisal and any sources of where I can sell it.Thanks,
Randy
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dear *****nifer, Did you receive the additional photos I sent you on De. 30, 2015? Do you have an approximate value and any sources to reach potential buyers? I would appreciate a prompt answer.Thank you
R***** *****

Dear Randy,

Based on your photos, I don't feel I am the best person to appraise this. I opted out and opened this to other appraisers back on December 27, so it is open for any other appraiser to pick up if they feel qualified. This is a very specialized item.

Jennifer

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can you please tell me what "other appraiser" will be handling this and if the other appraiser got all the pictures I sent you on two different times. I look forward to a prompt reply from someone.
thanks, Randy *******
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please send me a new questionnaire to rate your site. Thanks