ObjectsConservator1
ObjectsConservator1, Restorer
Experience:  30+ years of conserving and restoring museum and private-owned objects.
75944346

We found the following inscription on an old dinner. The

Customer Question

We found the following inscription on an old dinner bell. The verbiage on the bell is;
"Made by L. D. Rankin Fredericktown O. Secured New Composition Bell."
A few of the measurements are 16 1/2" in circumference, 12" high and a clapper about 2" in diameter. The bell has all the parts and it appears that a railroad spike is used to secure the bell to the frame using a mortise and tenon connection. The bell weights about 75 lbs. The bell was part of the farm house which was erected in 1863. L. D. Rankin, which is the manufacturer, passed in 1867.
Please tell us what we have and rather we should consider having it restored.
Jenene Bope
Category: Antiques
Expert:  ObjectsConservator1 replied 11 months ago.

Can you post a picture or two of the bell, please. You have already identified what you have and the provenance, so there's not much to add to that. I can, however, advise you on conservation/restoration and whether or not to do that and how to go about it once I see the condition.

Thanks!

I'll be happy to give you further information on your object once I'm able to see images of it.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just refund the 20 dollars thanks

Please contact the Just Answer site help desk for assistance with payments. As an expert, I do not get paid unless I am rated for my work. I am willing to assist you with your restoration/conservation question upon receiving more information.