Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I was just here and lost page. I asked about Evelyn Ackerman

Customer Question

Hello: I was just here and lost page. I asked about Evelyn Ackerman the king.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls. I must research up-to-date data to give the most accurate answer.
Besides there are extra system charges to you for live conversations.

Is your piece a tapestry, a wall hanging or a painting?

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Doris,
As you can see it is a tapestry called the king .

Thank you for the information.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

One more question - what are the dimensions?

Another - what is the tapestry made of?

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Doris the size is 25 " x 69"
Sorry I was out of town for the Holiday.
I think its made from rugs

Thank you for the information.

It has been a long time since I last heard from you.

I will need to see if I can locate my previous research.

I will try to work quickly.

Kind regards,

Doris

You may have already seen this information; but just in case, I will include it here.

Evelyn Ackerman

"Jerome Ackerman (born 1920) and Evelyn Ackerman (née Lipton) (1924-2012) are American industrial designers who as a team made contributions to the aesthetic of California mid-century modern with their ceramics, wood carvings, mosaics, textiles, and enamels in home furnishings and architectural elements.[1] The Ackermans sold their products through their companies Jenev and ERA Industries. Evelyn was an accomplished artist and an author of books on antique toys and dolls.
Alligator wood carved wall art designed by Evelyn Ackerman"

Wall Hangings

"In the late 1950s Evelyn experimented with silk screening (starting with the drapes in their first apartment) and developed a series of designs. The first, Kites, was produced in Los Angeles by Tony Sharrar and Erick Erickson and was featured on the cover of the Los Angeles Times Home magazine in 1958.

Evelyn’s interest in textiles began at the University of Michigan where she had taken a weaving class in 1941. She loved the tactile quality of hand weaving. In the late 1950s the couple decided to offer woven hangings as part of the ERA line. They knew from experience that weaving was a slow process, so they needed a workshop that could produce Evelyn’s designs. They found a well-established cottage industry not far from Mexico City where the workers were skilled at weaving serapes. To produce the handwoven all-wool tapestries, the weavers followed a full-size drawing color-keyed to yarn samples. Evelyn’s first design in 1958, Hot Bird, was followed by a steady stream of new ones, and the Ackermans

maintained a fruitful relationship with the same family of weavers for many years.

Continuing to explore new ways of executing her designs, Evelyn experimented with the hand-hooking technique in the late 1950s. This led to a new group of designs for area rugs, produced by a facility Jerry located in Osaka, Japan. Soon realizing that the rug market was overcrowded, the Ackermans changed direction, moving to smaller hand-hooked wall hangings that were made with both regular and needlepoint loop sizes. The height of the loop could be varied and the pile could be cut or left uncut, allowing for a great variety of texture and depth. The first designs, Venetian Dusk, Sun and Lion, and Seed Pod, were popular, and ultimately the hookings proved to be the most successful wall hangings ERA sold. Evelyn continued to add new designs over the years, many of which were featured in design shows and publications."

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

See the following image of 2015 auction sales of tapestries by Evelyn Ackerman.

Two are the same and sold for the same price - $3125.

The middle one' gross price would be about $2640 once the buyer's premium is paid.

All are close to twice the size of yours but all are less intricate than yours.

Using the standard method for appraisals, the auction value of your more intricate but smaller tapestry would be about $3125.

From my research, I was able to determine a retail value of about $5500 for your tapestry named "The King."

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.

Here is the image.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Let me know,
Kind regards,
Doris