Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

Estimated value of a first edition of Dodge City the Cowboy

Customer Question

estimated value of a first edition of Dodge City the Cowboy Capital, inscibed and signed by Willaim Barclay Masterson "To Dan Kane with compliments of his friend W.B. Masterson New York City Feby.14,1914"
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls. I must research up-to-date data to give the most accurate answer.
Besides there are extra system charges to you for live conversations.

Who is the author? There are several examples listed in my references but they are by a different author.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Robt.M.Wright

Thank you for the information.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I should be back in 20 minutes.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

The first edition of Dodge City the Cowboy Capital of the World by Robert M Wright, mayor of Dodge City without "Bat"Masterson's signature is $750. With the inscription by Masterson, the book's conservative retail value is $200,750 to $250,750.

There exists some original manuscripts of this book with corrections made by the hand of Masterson that sell for as much as $475,000. Yours is not an original manuscript nor does it have multple initials and signatures by Masterson.

A private seller to a dealer can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Let me know,
Kind regards,
Doris