Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a painting by Manessier I believe this is the

Customer Question

Hello my name is***** have a painting by Manessier I believe this is the spelling of his name the peace is called golden shores im try to find out more about it an if I should sale it. I seen it on the website when I look up his name please help thanks shane
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to talk on the phone because I'm not gooi at this typing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My number is(###) ###-####
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am one of the expert s here at justanswer. I would be happy to help you. It was painted sometime between 1952 and 1955, when the artist did a series of paintings of the North Sea, and the Bay of Somme.

What is the size of the painting that you have?

Here is a brief biography I found on the artist.

Alfred Manessier

Born: 1911 - Saint-Ouen, France
Died: 1993
Known for: realism, cubism

Alfred Manessier was born on December 5, 1911 in Saint-Ouen, Somme department, just north of Paris, France, the only son of a wholesale wine merchant. His paternal grandfather was a designer and cutter of ornamental building stone. He grew up in Abbeville and Amiens and at the fishing port of Le Crotoy, where he visited his maternal grandmother who was a ropemaker. There he painted pictures of fishing boats and the bay of the river Somme; he responded to the play of light over the river.

Manessier attended the Lycee and the Ecole des Beaux-Arts, in Amiens, where he studied architecture, then on to the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris, but he disliked the atmosphere of the school and spent most of his time in the Louvre, copying paintings by Tintoretto and Rembrandt. At the art academies of Montparnasse he found greater freedom of expression, and under the influence of Bissiere, turned from realistic landscapes to painting in the cubist tradition. Manessier left Paris after his father died in 1936. He began turning toward Surrealism about that time.

In October 1938 Manessier married Therese Simonet. They had two children, born in 1940 and 1947. He served in the French Army in 1939 and 1940. During a brief visit to the Somme in 1943, while staying in the Grand Trappist Monastery, he underwent a reconversion to Roman Catholicism. As a result he settled for a while in Bignon, Normandy, where, in accordance with the growing "inwardness" of his vision, he painted compositions with dramatic lighting recalling Georges de la Tour. He designed stained glass windows and tapestries, also a series of lithographs with Easter themes.

Manessier was a tall, thin friendly man who gave an impression of inner vitality and warmth. He spent each summer with his family by the seashore. He regarded his art as a reaction against the materialism of the age.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you would please let me know the size of this painting? I can further tell you the value on the painting once I have the size. Thank you