rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a very old print of president, it was given to me by

Customer Question

I have a very old print of president ***** *****, it was given to me by my godfather, around 1970, he was in his late 60's then, and said that it hung in his parents home for many years. When they took it out of the picture frame to clean the glass, the print fell apart somewhat. it is still mostly together, but lots of the framing around the picture is gone, but the portrait of ***** ***** is intact.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 11 months ago.

This is a print of a famous unfinished portrait by artist Gilbert Stuart of General ***** ***** done in 1796. This portrait is also titled The Athenaeum and has been reproduced in prints by many different publishers over the years. The original painting is jointly owned by the National Portrait Gallery,Smithsonian Institution, Washington,and the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston,William Francis Warden Fund,
John H. and Ernestine A. Payne Fund, and Commonwealth Cultural Preservation Trust.

The print looks to be from the 1940's based on paper stock and limited fading. It is in poor condition with all of the missing paper and I am afraid that really is bad for the value. This piece is valued at $30.00.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read my answer.

I am following up to see if there was anything else I could help you with concerning this piece. If not, please do remember to click the stars to rate (this is the only way that the site knows to pay me). Merry Christmas to you!