rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I think i have a mother of pearl Lion 13 inches and 8 inches

Customer Question

I think i have a mother of pearl Lion 13 inches long and 8 inches tall with teeth and tail.I got it back in the seventies and it was old then
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

This lion sculpture is made of marble (not mother of pearl) and has a glass eyes. Glass eyes are a technique used in the 1890's on small pieces. This piece is either Italian or Mexican based on the marble and the technique of less-detailed carving and low-polish. The figurine has a current value of $150.00 to $175.00.

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read my answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My sculpture seems to fragile to be marble if I dropped it it would break
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

So this is a lightweight piece and does not have the weight of marble? Having to judge from photos is a slight handicap here. It is possible that the piece is plaster and not marble if it is light. Are there any nicks or chips where you can see the substance underneath the finish?