Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

How do I find out about a painting with a serial number

Customer Question

Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 11 months ago.

What is the size of this painting, and at your convenience, please send images of the back side. (do not remove from frame).

~Nora

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The painting size is 23 1/4 X 11 1/2
Frame is 31 1/4 X 19 1/4
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The artist signed
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thank you for your time.
Expert:  Nora replied 11 months ago.

May I please know what particular information it is that you seek on this painting?

~Nora

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was hoping you would tell me. Is it a original? We think so. Is it of the secretariat horse? Is it worth anything?
Expert:  Nora replied 11 months ago.

Yes, this is indeed an original painting with a nearly 'hidden' image among the abstract expressionist style background.

It is signed "Lauder" however there is not a listed artist who fits the dates, style and signature. This was likely done by a commercial decorative wall art painter, and they were many times either unlisted or used fictitious names.

Given the era of the painting, which can be determined by the Leroy-Nieman-esque work and sporting theme of jockey on horseback as seen from a head-on perspective, this can be construed as a view of Secretariat who won his first race in 1972.

Based on comparables as well as the size of the painting, this has a value of $350 - $550 on today's market.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 11 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora